Friday, October 16, 2009

AT TIMES NATURE CAN BE CRUEL TOO

This is what I received from my email:
sender: Sridhar G


A SAD STORY OF TWO TEEN AGERS

ENTERTAINMENT ENDING UP OTHERWISE
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY AN ONLOOKER
FROM PHILIPPINES


The Falls are about 25 feet tall.
The water collects in a pool.
It's not deep. There's a bamboo raft.


These guys were swimming and playing on the raft


Closer to the falls.

There is some space behind the falls.
The 2 guys went back there.


This is the view down-stream. It's very shallow.
Notice the picnic table. This is the same table shown later.


It got very loud. water came out of nowhere.
The 2 guys had nowhere to go. I took this picture before I realized what was happening
.


This picture was taken perhaphs 30 seconds later



Another view downstream. That's the same picnic table.



Water is still rising fast



The water is full of bamboo, mud, etc.
It's still surging, very loud.
At this point, there are a lot of people waiting to see if those guys are ok.





This is the last picture I took, more than an hour later and the falls are still at flood stage.
We left on the last bus back to the city. I don't know id those guys made it out alive.





If anyone knows what happend, please let me know.
details: Mag-Aso falls, Bohol, Philipines flash flood June 30, 2009

Update 7/9/09 - Bohol news did finally report this. I've received maybe 40 email from locals - some who knew the guys. The bodies were discovered more than 5 km's downstream. The funeral were a few days ago. This page was visited by more than 50k people. I've heard from people with similar stories. Locals say many have died here and at other waterfalls. I'm not sure if warning signs would have prevented these deaths, but it seems like something needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment